Some Awesome People

Monday, June 23, 2014

Liberty, Equality and Fraternity

Liberty, Equality and Fraternity: Those Three Impostors

by Dwight Longenecker



Like most everyone I could not help but be moved by the musical Les Miserables. It seemed a powerful story of redemption, and I even found myself feeling sympathetic to the young revolutionaries as they sang their final stirring anthem from the barricades.

I am afraid that is where my sympathy for the Jacobins ends. My antipathy to the French Revolution was brought into focus by Dom Gregory Pilcher’s observation while I was visiting in his Arkansas parish last week. Enjoying a grumble and a glass of beer, Father Pilcher said, “The problem is that Americans have replaced Faith, Hope and Charity with Libert√©, Egalit√© and Fraternit√©. (...)

Continue reading: link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make our day brighter! Please keep them pure and nice. :D