Some Awesome People

Friday, November 1, 2013

Picture, icture, cture,ture,ure,re,e!

Don't you love landscape-y pictures??? Well, read on! Warning: Landscapes ahead!

I've Made it to the Edge of the World This was shot in the final hours of daylight, near the southern tip of Argentina and the edge of Chile, just a glacier's throw from Antarctica.In the morning, we woke up at 4:30 AM in -7 degree cold. I hardly slept 30 minutes the whole night. I was in a tiny 2-man tent with Yuri. The noxious fumes of our tiny prison reminded me, if you will, of the inside of a tauntaun that had spent its life consuming cognac and cigarettes. Furthermore, his snore had the sonorous bass and carrying power of a humpback whale with none of the beauty.I started on one edge of these rugged peaks and moved around to this side, to get the view from the glacial lake. The spiked mountains there are Cerro Torre, and I was very lucky to see them without cloud cover. I understand they are covered up 90% of the time, so to have crystal clear air was fortunate. The glacier there, which presents on the right but really goes back behind many more mountains, is called "glacier grande".I did a lot of other things this day too, including a 45-minute 1500-foot ascent up an icy trail that was not really a trail at all. Dima and Vulva (Vulva is one of the other Russian gentleman who joined us on the trip -- it's hard to pronounce with a strange V-W sound, but he seemed to respond when I called him "Vulva") went up the mountain with me in the pitch black, using only headlamps. I'll have more on that story later because it was pretty sketchy. But, alas, we were able to see Fitz Roy as the sun turned the tips pink. After that, we began the long additional 10km hike that brought us to this location. I stayed here watching icebergs float by until the last morsels of dusk remained.- Trey RatcliffClick here to read the rest of this post at the Stuck in Customs blog.
The Sorbonne
My friend (and website designer), Fabien Barral, met my wife and I in Paris to take us out to dinner. We left the hotel, and about 30 seconds out the door, we came across this street side cafe right by the Sorbonne, the famous university. Luckily, I think both of them were used to this behavior and chatted pleasantly while I snapped away.

I worked on this photo all day. People often ask me how long I work on photos. If you've seen the HDR Video Tutorial here on the site, you know it takes me anywhere from 15 minutes to three hours. This one was on the long side for sure... It was tough work, but I am happy with the results.

- Trey Ratcliff

Read the rest here at the Stuck in Customs blog.
The Prison of Marie Antoinette What an amazing (and somewhat eerie) place this is!  You all have heard of the famous Marie Antoinette and know of her fate...  but maybe you've never seen her lavish French prison?  It's called the Conciergerie, and now it's on my must-visit list!  I got the hot tip from one of my workshop students in London... an unexpected find.  Okay... I'll be quiet and just let you enjoy this photo.P.S.  This was made from a single RAW... it was handheld. - Trey RatcliffClick here to read the rest of this post at the Stuck in Customs blog.
The Magical CaveThe Baths on Virgin Gorda are filled with many tiny little caves here and there. For some, you have to crawl through sand or swim to get there. This one was one of the tightest and one of the most awesome! I thought it would be a great place to take a photo… I first went inside here with Justin Troupe and it was so awesome, I decided to return inside with my camera!Because the light levels were so extreme in here, I went with a 7-exp shot in this situation.- Trey RatcliffClick here to read the entire post at the Stuck in Customs blog.
Peaceful Evening in Wanaka I had a peaceful evening in Wanaka. There is this tree that sits out in the middle of the lake. It’s so unusual. I love the way it reflects back on itself in the smooth water. I was by myself, listening to music on my iPod, and just watching the water as it would calm down then get excited, then calm down again. I swapped out lenses a few times and kept moving around to admire it from different angles. This one was one of my favorites. - Trey RatcliffClick here to read the rest of this post at the Stuck in Customs blog.

3 comments:

  1. I should really try to draw these! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be a really good artist even to attempt that! :P

      Delete

Your comments make our day brighter! Please keep them pure and nice. :D