Some Awesome People

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Response to a Period Drama Letter

I decided to give the Period Drama Advice Event on Elegance of Fashion a go. I'm not sure if a man would actually answer a letter to a Period Drama Advice column, but since this letter is written by a gentlemen, I decided my idea would work out okay. Hopefully my letter doesn't sound too dumb.

Original letter:

Dear Period Drama Advice Column,
Mr. Ferrars is perplexed.
I find myself in a predicament. Four years ago, I became secretly engaged to a woman named Lucy Steele, the niece of my tutor in Exeter. I thought myself in love, but it was a foolish, idle inclination on my side. I have recently met my sister's sister-in-law, Elinor, and I like her a great deal. I find myself in love with her, but I cannot break my commitment to Lucy. If I were free, I would tell her that my heart is and always will be hers. Her friendship has been the most important of my life. My mother also wants me to marry the rich Miss Morton with 50,000 pounds: all I want, all I've ever wanted is the quiet of a private life, but my mother wants me distinguished.Do you think I am doing the right thing in keeping my promise to Lucy despite all of this?
Sincerely,
Edward Ferrars



My letter:

Dear Edward Ferrars,

This is indeed a hard question to face. By marrying Lucy, you will have the honour from keeping your promise. However, you have realized that you do not love her anymore, but another woman. I also love a woman in vain. But because I love her, I am letting her go with her father to a far-away place.

My first advice is to not marry this Miss Morton! Do not marry for riches, you will only find yourself in greater predicaments than before. My second advice is - follow your heart. If you do not love this Lucy, do not marry her - even if you have to face dishonour and pain for letting her know that you do not feel for her the way you did before.

If you still need more help, come here to Lothlorien. I will not be here for much longer, but the lady Galadriel is a great counsellor. If she cannot help you, no one can.

Sincerely,
Aragorn, son Arathorn

Aragorn thinking about how to answer Mr. Ferrar's letter

5 comments:

  1. Ooh cool, Aragorn giving love advice! Nice letter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You think so? :D I thought it was pretty bad...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the entry! It's been a long time since I've seen Lord of the Rings, but I thought you did a good job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first comment didn't go through. Thanks for the entry! I haven't seen Lord of the Rings in a long time, but I thought your letter was nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually it did, I just hadn't clicked the "Allow comment" button. And thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make our day brighter! Please keep them pure and nice. :D